Mass Comm and Media
The Faculty of Postgraduate Studies at the University of Burao was established in November 2016 as the first Postgraduate Faculty in Togdheer, Somaliland. The vision of the faculty is to provide an opportunity for students in Burao to conduct study and research for the development of the country, and to open the door for Masters and PhD studies in this region. The first two Masters programs were started in May 2017. In the current student intake, the following Masters programs are offered: M.A. (English Proficiency in Education), M.A. (Project Planning and Management), Master of Research (Social Sciences), Master of Sharia & Law, M.A. (Project Planning), MBA (Accounting & Finance), M.A. (Educational Leadership and Management), M.A. (Mass Communication and Media Studies), and Postgraduate Diploma (English Proficiency).
The Master of Arts (M.A.) degree in Mass Communication and Media studies offered by the University of Burao, provides a common beginning point for those interested in pursuing a Master degree in Mass communication and media. Among the areas of emphasis offered are Mass communication, functional media languages, News writing, Development support communication and culture, public relations and advertising, and media history and laws.
Now is the Age of information technology, however, it is important to know how to inform masses via traditional means and electronic media or social media (video and audio). This program prepares students for careers in education sectors, businesses, NGOs, governments and media industries. It opens up doors to a new market opportunity and equip students with the skills that employers need in our information-sensitive society.
- Duration of program: two years / four semesters including dissertation
- Contact & credit hours: 18 courses (each course consists of 3 credit hours and 32 contact hours) and one dissertation (6 credit hours)
- Nomenclature: Master of Arts
- First semester, students take five courses.
- Second semester, students take five courses.
- Third semester, students take five courses.
- Nine courses are from the stream ‘common courses (*shared courses*).
- Eight courses are core courses.
- There are Seminars about position papers, research and concerned courses.
- The dissertation is completed in semester four or in the four months after the end of semester 3.
- Students will acquire skills, concepts, tools and techniques
i.Ability to design advertising and public relations programs
ii.Learn skills of news writing
iii.Ability to apply ethics, and law of media
iv.Learn broadcasting media professions
v.Understanding how to create public opinions
vi.Discourses media coverage critically and analytically
vii.Understanding the global perspective
viii.Creativity and innovation
- Social capabilities
i.Capable of interpersonal relationships
ii.Effective leadership and communication
iii.Engaged as a skilled ethical citizens of Somaliland as well as global citizens
iv.Socially just and responsible
- Personal capabilities
i.Capable of professional and personal initiative
ii.Commitment to continuous learning and research as well development of Somaliland.
- Master of Arts in Mass Communication and Media Studies
Introduction to Mass Communication, Functional Media Language, News Writing Techniques, Introduction to Research Methodology in mass media, Computer Applications in Mass Media, Media History, Law & Ethics, International Issues in Mass Communication, Public Relations and Advertising, Development Support Communication, Concepts and theories of Social Development, Media Management, Electronic Media, National and International Affairs, Seminar (AfSoomaali),Critical Thinking, Content analysis in qualitative research, Writing Techniques in Research