The Department of Agriculture
The Department of Agriculture Science
The Department of Agriculture was established in 2011 in recognition of the significance of Agriculture to the national economy and the increasing need to manage the environment sustainably. The agriculture sector is a key to overall economic growth & development of Somaliland. It is a key contributor to or a source of food security, Export earnings, Poverty alleviation and Sustainable development. The heavy reliance of the Somaliland’s economy on agriculture and natural resource makes Environmental Science an important discipline for sustainable development.
The department of Agriculture aims to produce agricultural experts /professionals who are able to provide relevant consultancy services for farmers such as: soil and water conservation, Pest/disease management, Farm management, agriculture extension practices, crop husbandry methods, food security and minimizing the use of chemicals and encouraging the application of IPM in farming production systems. The experts will also contribute to increased crop production and poverty reduction.
The department of agriculture aims to produce agricultural experts/professionals who are able to provide relevant consultancy services for farmers such as: soil and water conservation; pest/disease management, farm management; agriculture extension practices; crop husbandry methods; food security; and minimizing the use of chemicals and encouraging the application of IPM in farming production systems. The experts will also contribute to increased crop production and poverty alleviation.
Department of Agriculture is to improve agricultural production and productivity and enhance sustainable use of the natural resource base, in contribution to the development of the agricultural sector and the nation’s overall food security and livelihood and the environmental wellbeing.
- To produce competent and qualified graduates in agriculture towards contribute to the national agricultural development and livelihoods.
- To promote research and training on sustainable development of agricultural productivity, soil, cost reduction in farming, degradation of land, etc.
- To provide consultancy in agriculture to disseminate the technology to the farmers through integrated extension activities and services
- To equip students with necessary knowledge and skills in order to be able to employ themselves in agriculture, rangeland management and rural development.
- Enable students to conduct on- farm demonstration field trials of innovative farming techniques, and ensure such technologies are adaptable to the local conditions and the existing farming systems.
- To train community and teach them the appropriate methods of agriculture production, water, drainage systems, irrigation, plant breeding, and farm management