THE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
The department of agriculture aims to produce agricultural experts/professionals who are able to provide relevant consultancy services for farmers such as: soil and water conservation; pest/disease management, farm management; agriculture extension practices; crop husbandry methods; food security; and minimizing the use of chemicals and encouraging the application of IPM in farming production systems. The experts will also contribute to increased crop production and poverty alleviation.
- To produce competent and qualified graduates in agriculture towards contribute to the national agricultural development and livelihoods.
- To promote research and training on sustainable development of agricultural productivity, soil, cost reduction in farming, degradation of land, etc.
- To provide consultancy in agriculture to disseminate the technology to the farmers through integrated extension activities and services
- To equip students with necessary knowledge and skills in order to be able to employ themselves in agriculture, rangeland management and rural development.
- Enable students to conduct on- farm demonstration field trials of innovative farming techniques, and ensure such technologies are adaptable to the local conditions and the existing farming systems.
- To train community and teach them the appropriate methods of agriculture production, water, drainage systems, irrigation, plant breeding, and farm management.